Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Single Speed AZ 2008

SSAZ08, 45 mile loop (50 if you include riding to the start and back from the finish), ~6500feet of climbing, lots of hike-a-bike, super techy and a long crazy DH descent (good picture in one of the links below) to the finish. I have not seen any official results (single speeders…) I finished 5th or 6th SS out of 47 (1st of the 3 girls). My time was 5hrs23min. The race started in 32degree weather with a 47minute paved climb to singletrack, the first place guy soloed off, then there was my group of 6 including the other pro girl Jennifer Wilson, I looked back down the climb when we turned onto singletrack and didn't see anyone else. I was in a good position after the first downhill, but had to stop to change a flat then play catch up for a while. I rode with a quite a few different guys, it was a very social race; trying to figure out the trail with other racers is a lot more fun that going it alone.
And all on less than 3 hours sleep. Being a SS race, we had to be at the bar (in Tucson) the night before from 11:45 to midnight for "packet pickup". Some of the other serious racers blew it off and I probably should have as well, but I thought I would do the SS thing. And they actually got rolling at sun-up, hangovers and all.
This picture is the finish line, pizza and beer in a wash, very nice pictures in the MTBR links: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=378204 http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=376228

No comments:

Post a Comment