Sunday, August 2, 2009

Durango July 2009, Ned's Specialized SS

Lots going on in Durango this last week.
Sunday 7/26 Durango Century It was a tour "not a race" and I did not race. I did work in the lead paceline a bit, I chased a guy or two even though they were not going anywhere, basically I just had fun. In order to keep out of trouble with my coach, I dropped off the lead pack at ~ 65 miles and rode a more steady pace. Luckily another girl Mel dropped off as well and we pedaled, talked, stopped at an aid station then rode together a little more. My time was still 4:25 which seems really fast for 100 miles. I think it helped that there were no other girls in front of us (except the ones on tandems), otherwise "not racing" may have been too hard to handle.
Wednesday After my normal workout I headed into town to do the local weekly Durango Devo ST race. The A men and women race together which was great since there were only three women. With 3+ minute laps I didn't get lapped by any guys and finished 1st in the women. The cost is $10 and the proceeds go to the Devo kids, so I am all over that.
Thursday I hooked up with the local singlespeed ride and got to ride with Ned Overend! Ned was riding his new 2010 S-Works, 29'r, Carbon SS. I had actually met Ned earlier in the week at a local shop where he was building up his bike, see pic - notice the horizontal dropouts. I was too enamored by his bike to even realize who I was talking too. I did consider that it was Ned himself, but he just didn't act like it, he was too down-to-earth and friendly. No one else said anything either. I know, I am an idiot. I have wanted to meet Ned for a long time, I still want to get him to sign my copy of Mountain Bike Like A Champion since I use that book in my skills clinics.
Saturday I raced the Hermosa Creek Classic. 38-miles point-to-point. There were 4 pro women, I finished 1st and took home $175. Nice! I had my newly installed Carbon S-Works cranks on the race bike and although they took a beating on the rocks, they still look good and saved me 70 grams over the XTR with adapters (no cups needed on the S-Works).
Sunday I played with my cousin's daughter Logan (my second cousin?) and taught her how to siphon water. My ride today was a 2.5 hour scenic road ride. My legs felt good and I pushed it for a while, ran out of water and kept going just because I felt like it. I finished the ride by spinning easy with another cyclist, a girl who had stopped to take a picture along the route.

No comments:

Post a Comment